The Difference Between Mold and Mildew

Some people mistakenly see mold as mildew and mildew as mold. Well, we can’t blame them since both of these are fungi that like to sit around in warm areas. However, there are some differences between the two that we should know before treating them.

Their Appearance

  • First, you can tell the difference between the two by its looks. Mildew has that fluffy or powdery texture which usually comes in white or gray color. Mold, on the other hand, has a fuzzy or slimy texture that is colored in green or black.

The Environment Where They Grow

  • Both of the fungi can grow in an instant in warm and moist places. Mildew is commonly found on damp surfaces, especially the ones with fabric, paper, and leather. It can also be found on floors, walls, and ceilings to especially in the bathroom or kitchen which are the common areas in the house with lots of humidity. Mold, on the other hand, grows on food such as rotten cheese, meat, and bread. Wet indoor areas such as sheds, garages, and crawl spaces are also places where mold tend to grow too.

The Effects of the Fungus

  • Both mold and mildew have different effects that can impact the people inside their homes. One example is mildew can harm the food it grows on. However, it doesn’t do any major damage to other surfaces like tile floors and mirrors. If a person inhales mildew, he/she will experience coughing and headache. Not to mention, trouble in breathing as well.
  • If you think that you’ve seen enough, wait until you know the effects of mold. Mold can create serious damage on structures including homes and even vehicles. Not only that, but it also causes long-term health issues on people as well. While mildew only causes mild headaches with a little bit of cough, mold causes respiratory issues, heart problems, migraines, joint pain, and depression. And it doesn’t end there; it can also cause sneezing, and irritation to the eyes, throat, and skin.

Removing the Fungus

  • But fear no more because both of them can be removed from your home. Say goodbye easily to mildew by using a mildew cleaner with a scrubbing brush. But when it comes to mold, you may want to hire a professional because it can be a little bit hard to eliminate one. You can still remove mold on your own, but there’s nothing wrong on spending a few bucks on hiring an expert anyway.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *