When spring is near, there’s nothing better than enjoying the fresh breeze of the ocean with your friends and loved ones. And that means it’s time for boating season! But wait, before you take your boat back to the water, you must check if your vessel is conditioned enough to operate once again. With that said, here are some few boat maintenance tips tailored just for you.
- Inspect your boat from top to bottom. Check for loose screws and tighten them up if you spot any. Don’t forget to check the hull and repair some unsightly cracks and holes that you may find.
Make Your Boat Fire-Ready
- Misfortunate events may unexpectedly happen. So it’s better to install smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors on your vessel. If you already have one, then replace their batteries to ensure that they will be performing at their best. Don’t forget to bring a fire extinguisher as well or refill them if you already had one.
- They say it’s all fun and games until someone gets hurt. With that said, bring some extra safety gear with you. Be it life jackets or any floatation devices. Bring a first-aid kit too just in case someone gets injured. Not to mention, emergency flares in case you’re stuck in the middle of nowhere while on the trip.
- Batteries are something that you should never overlook. In fact, you must give special attention to it. Begin by removing the battery box and clean the battery charger as well as the battery and its terminals. Replace anything that’s corroded to make it perform top-notch. If you had the money, you could invest in getting a smart charger too as they can come in useful.
It’s Cleaning Time
- Of course, who wants to travel on a boat that’s mucky and disgusting to look at, right? So get your soaps, sponges, rags, and disinfectants ready because it’s cleaning time! The cleaner the boat, the more pleasant it can be to ride on.
Check Your Mechanical Equipment
- Before you venture out in the sea, check all your boat’s mechanical equipment and see if they are still functioning. Here’s a list of items that you should check on.
- Navigational lights
- Air Conditioner
Make it Shine Like New
- This one is not actually necessary, but for appearances’ sake, then you must follow this tip if you want. Repair your gel coat and remove any oxidation that’s present. You can also apply a fresh coat of paint to give your boat the shine and spark that it needs.
Check the Trailer
- Lastly, it’s important to have a look at your boat’s trailer and examine everything on it. Are there any cracked sidewalls? Or are the tires inflated? How about the engine? Is it performing well? A trailer that’s in good condition can make your boat function as it should be.
Boat maintenance is important to make your trip enjoyable with less hassle. Going on a bon voyage with a dirty and malfunctioning boat is a recipe for disaster. And if you do, the next thing you’ll find is you’ll be stuck in the middle of nowhere in the ocean. So don’t forget to follow the tips above and have a safe trip!